Tonight’s presidential debate, featuring a crook versus a con man, calls for each candidate to pull off impossibilities. Hillary Clinton has to somehow come across as trustworthy and qualified for the White House rather than the Big House, something she hasn’t been able to do after a long career of political greed and corruption, while Donald Trump, a thin-skinned narcissistic clown, must somehow present himself as presidential. It’s a tall order.
Meanwhile, the poor moderator, Lester Holt, is going to probably get reamed no matter what he does. If he comes across as a liberal hack, the Trump Train will tar and feather him, while if he doesn’t debate Trump for Hillary, the Clinton attack machine will destroy his career.
It’s crazy times, and this debate is likely to be a sh*t show, and with history in the making, even if it does turn out to be a train wreck, it’s going to be much-watch TV.
Therefore, I’ve come up with 15 quick things to be on the lookout for tonight:
- Will debate moderator Lester Holt fact-check, as he is being pressured to do? If so, he’s going to be a busy man as both Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump are well-documented pathological liars.
- Hillary Clinton will be dressed like Chairman Mao in honor of her ideological twin. But then again, she always dresses like Chairman Mao, so that will be nothing new.
- Will handler-created “presidential” Donald Trump show up, or will fifth-grade playground bully rear its ugly head?
- Watch for Hillary Clinton to try a stunt to come across as likeable, an impossible task, given a quarter of a century of being hated and despised.
- Watch for Hillary supporter, billionaire Mark Cuban in the front row. Will he be making funny faces at Trump and how will Trump react?
- Watch for Hillary to remind people that she’s a woman, because looking at her doesn’t make it clear.
- Watch for Hillary to play the race card on multiple occasions in an attempt to pander to minorities. Watch for Trump to counter by offering even more freebies than Hillary does, proving he’s just as liberal as she is when it comes right down to it.
- Watch for Hillary to throw a costly taxpayer-funded bone to millennials as an attempt to reach Bernie’s little socialists she’s having a hard time attracting.
- Rules for this debate require those in attendance to remain silent during the debate. Look for that rule to be broken regularly.
- Look for Hillary to throw out some zingers that her campaign created. Look for Trump to counter with “Crooked Hillary.”
- Look for the liberal talking heads’ reaction to Lester Holt’s performance. If Hillary loses the debate, you can bet he’ll get demonized in a way that makes the attacks against Matt Lauer look mild.
- Watch Trump’s facial reactions during the split-screen while Hillary is talking. His immature expressions worked well in the primary debates, but won’t sit well with many general election voters. Remember Al Gore?
- Look for Trump to get hit on specifics on issues and still not being able to give any because, after a more than a year as a candidate, he still hasn’t deeply studied the issues.
- Look for Trump to nuke Hillary with the way Hillary treated women that were attacked after revealing they either had affairs with or were sexually abused by Bill Clinton.
- Look for Trump to use the word “disaster” at least ten times. “She was a disaster.” “It was a disaster.” Electing her would be a disaster.”
Get out the popcorn, folks. It’s going to be insane!