Bloomberg’s Mark Halperin recently interviewed GOP presidential candidate and constitutional conservative Ted Cruz. If the same questions were asked of Barack Obama in an interview, would be considered nothing short of outright racism.
Among the gems asked of Cruz by Halperin:
- “What’s your appraisal of Bernie Sander’s candidacy and can we hear your very good and very respectful imitation of him?”
- “Your last name is Cruz and you’re from Texas. Just based on that, should you have appeal to Hispanic voters?”
- “People are really interested in you and your identity when you filled out your application to Princeton and Harvard Law School, did you list yourself as a Hispanic?”
- “Do you have a favorite Cuban food or Cuban dish? What’s [interrupting Cruz’s answer] your favorite dish?”
- “Do you like Cuban music? Do you have a favorite Cuban singer?”
- “And finally, we wanted to give you the opportunity to directly welcome your colleague Senator Sanders to the race and I’d like you to do it, if you would, en Español.“
Can you imagine if similar questions were asked of Barack Obama during the 2008 presidential campaign? Questions like:
- “Since your mom is 100% white, just how exactly would you be the first black president?
- Your last name is Obama and you’re from Kenya and Hawaii. Just based on that, should you have an appeal to black voters?”
- “Since you were mostly raised by your rich, white grandparents in very multicultural Hawaii, how exactly are you down for the struggle?”
- “To show that your blackness is authentic, we wanted to give you the opportunity to directly welcome your colleague Senator McCain to the race and I’d like you to do it, if you would, in Ebonics.”
Those questions were NEVER and would NEVER be asked of Obama by Halperin or any of his ilk in the leftstream media.
Halperin’s despicable line of questioning was a sleazy attempt to discredit, ridicule, and shame away Cruz’s Hispanic and Cuban heritage, considered a threat to the Democrat Party’s stranglehold on the minority vote.
Ironically, Halperin’s Bloomberg show is called, “With All Due Respect,” a platform used to disrespect all Hispanics and Cuban-Americans with this shameful interview.
Halperin should be fired for his racist interrogation. The left would insist on nothing less if the same line of questioning were used against any Democrat candidate.