The Republican Party is supposed to be the party that fights for Second Amendment rights, standing up to the gun grabbers on the left who seek to disarm innocent Americans thereby making them sitting ducks should they ever been confronted with criminal activity or a terrorist attack.
One would think that it would be a no-brainer would be for the GOP to allow guns at the Republican National Convention, but unfortunately the venue chosen has a strict no-gun policy. So, the GOP is fighting for a reversal of that policy for their convention, right? Not so fast.
The RNC is scheduled to be held in Cleveland, Ohio on July 18 -21. Although Ohio is an open carry state, the venue chosen by the Reince Priebus and the Republican National Committee, Quicken Loans Arena, is a gun-free zone.
And therein lies the problem that has a lot of attendees, and potential attendees, upset.
A petition is circulating online that calls for firearms to be allowed inside the venue. As of Saturday afternoon, the petition had nearly 25,000 signatures.
The petition reads in part:
According to the policy on their website, “firearms and other weapons of any kind are strictly forbidden on the premises of Quicken Loans Arena.”
This is a direct affront to the Second Amendment and puts all attendees at risk. As the National Rifle Association has made clear, “gun-free zones” such as the Quicken Loans Arena are “the worst and most dangerous of all lies.” The NRA, our leading defender of gun rights, has also correctly pointed out that “gun free zones… tell every insane killer in America… (the) safest place to inflict maximum mayhem with minimum risk.” (March 4, 2016 and Dec. 21, 2012)
Cleveland, Ohio is consistently ranked as one of the top ten most dangerous cities in America. By forcing attendees to leave their firearms at home, the RNC and Quicken Loans Arena are putting tens of thousands of people at risk both inside and outside of the convention site.
The person who began the petition is merely named as N.A. from Cleveland, Ohio.
The petition makes five specific requests regarding the convention and venue chosen.
- The petition requests that Quicken Loans Arena suspends its anti-Second Amendment, gun-free policy for the convention.
- The petition requests that the NRA condemn the anti-gun rights policy at Quicken Loans Arena which is completely counter to the state’s open carry policies.
- The petition requests that Ohio governor and GOP presidential candidate John Kasich use his executive authority to suspend the “gun free zone” loophole being used at Quicken Loans Arena.
- The petition requests that Reince Priebus and the RNC explain why they selected a gun-free zone arena for the Republican National Convention.
- The petition requests that all three remaining GOP presidential candidates “all upon the RNC to rectify this affront to our Second Amendment freedoms and insist upon a suspension of the Quicken Loans Arena’s unconstitutional “gun-free zone” loophole.”
The RNC has already acknowledged a concern for security and safety of attendees at the convention with the announcement that they are spending $50 million on security for the event. The Cleveland Police Department are also buying 2,000 sets of riot gear.
Doesn’t it make sense for attendees of the Republican National Convention to be allowed to be their own first line of defense in practicing their Second Amendment rights should an attack of any kind occur at the convention?
To sign the petition, visit HERE.