How To Get Rid of Possums
Getting rid of a possum can be more troublesome than it seems. However, one of the best ways to prevent such an occurrence from happening would be through prevention. Such excellent tips regarding how to get rid of possums include:
- Not leaving trash or food from pets outside at night. This makes possums think you’re feeding them.
- To discourage possums, pick garden and fruit crops when ripe to discourage them. Also, don’t leave crops or rotting fruit on the ground.
- In order to eliminate the chance of possums setting up a hotel, eliminate holes under concrete slabs, remove any pieces of dilapidated building, and get rid of brush piles. Possums prefer to live in abandoned burrows, so eliminate them as soon as possible.
- Make sure that your pet doors are secure. Possums will have no qualms entering your home, which means you’ll have to shoo them out with a broom.
Getting Rid of Possums
If your possum issue gets to a point where it has become overwhelming, there’s a few methods one can consider when getting them out of (and away from) your home. Such methods include:
- Trapping via a box or cage. Since they are not aware of such traps, possums can be caught if one of these methods of trapping are placed on a trail that the possum/possums may frequently visit. As for bait, one can use cat food (with a fish flavor), peanut butter, jam, raw chicken eggs, melon, bananas, or grapes.
- Hire A Professional. Hiring a professional can help alleviate the stress of getting rid of such a pest. It is illegal to capture a possum and relocate it, so having a professional take care of the problem might be your best option.