What are the Popular CMS Platforms for Web Development in 2021?
Do you want your business enterprise to go online, reach out to a large user base across the world, build brand awareness, and generate traffic at a reasonable price point? Go for a Content Management System (CMS). What began with FileNet in the 80s, the CMS market has expanded exponentially. According to statistics, more than 63.6 million CMS-built websites are swirling on the internet as of January 2021 (Source: builtwith.com). This figure is around 43.6 percent of websites globally. In fact, it is expected to reach a market size of $123.5 billion by 2026 (Source: Zion Market Research). So, what makes CMS such a popular platform to build websites and the CMS web development services much sought after? Let us find out.
What is CMS Web Development?
How to choose the best CMS for your business website
Your business needs the best website in terms of robustness, functionality, security, and user-friendliness, and so, you need to keep the below-mentioned attributes in mind.
Ease of use: The CMS should be easy to create, modify, or delete content using a visual editor.
Design options: The CMS should have many design templates, and allow customization to those templates to suit your business requirements.
Data portability: The CMS platform should enable the export of data easily by providing the necessary features and tools. This can be of great help when you decide to use a different hosting company or platform.
Extensions and add-ons: During the development of your website you may need several extensions and add-ons to extend the features as it is not possible for a single CMS platform to have all the features. These are like apps, which can be used to modify the website features based on your requirements.
Support: Although CMS website development is meant to be a seamless affair with no prior knowledge of coding needed, there may be queries while working with the CMS software. So, while choosing a CMS platform you should find out the kind of support options it provides. These options may be in the form of FAQs, the presence of a dedicated customer support team, or an active development community for help.
Cost: CMS platforms can be both free and paid. However, for the ones that are supposedly free, you may have to pay for third-party extensions, plugins, web hosting services, and designs. So, before choosing a CMS platform to build your website, find out its pricing structure or simply hire the services of a professional website design company.
Popular CMS platforms for web development
Based on the above-mentioned criteria, we have selected some of the popular CMS platforms for you to choose for developing your website.
Arguably the top choice among CMS platforms thanks to its dominant market share of 41.2 percent (Source: W3Techs.) These include CMS websites, custom-coded CMS websites, and non-CMS websites. Built on MySQL and PHP, WordPress offers the tools to develop a feature-rich website containing blogs, images, videos, and many more. It provides several third-party themes catering to a range of industries – from technology, retail, and logistics to hospitality, food, education, and others. The CMS platform can be accessed through WordPress.org or WordPress.com where the former is an open-source CMS community designed for blogging while the latter is a blog hosting platform.
- Offers flexibility and extensibility to develop different types of websites – online stores, blogging platforms, auction sites, and more.
- Its feature-rich block editor can be utilized by developers to create attractive web pages without having any coding expertise.
- Offers thousands of themes and plugins (paid and free), which can be used to add stuff such as photo galleries, contact forms, and others.
- Allows the creation of SEO-friendly URLs, tags, and categories. Besides, one can choose from a variety of SEO plugins to expand the scope of SEO-friendliness of your website with special functions and tasks such as selecting appropriate keywords, writing attractive headlines, etc.
- Offers a large supportive community for development through WordPress.org. Besides, one can join interactive platforms such as the dedicated Facebook group to address queries.
- Allows one to download content in XML format to facilitate moving to a different system, if needed.
- You have to set up hosting and domain name for the website and be responsible for activities such as security and backups.
- For beginners, the amazing range of options can sometimes be overwhelming. No wonder most beginners prefer the use of WordPress’s drag and drop feature.
It is another open-source CMS platform, which helps to develop a highly customized website capable of handling a lot of data. It is behind the Economist website and several university sites and is regarded to be very secure when compared to its competitors. It provides the capability to handle complex and out-of-the-box multilingual websites.
- Offers flexible content types with plenty of options making it easy to add content to a website.
- Like WordPress plugins, Drupal offers several modules to perform specific activities.
- Offers access to reliable community support.
- Allows easy user management thanks to the presence of a built-in system to specify permissions and create new roles.
- Not very beginner-friendly and can be confusing while changing the appearance of a website or adding extras.
- Contains a highly customized theme, which can be very expensive.
Released way back in 2005, this open-source CMS with several extensions and templates can be used to build attractive websites. Although it is free to use, it requires a domain name and hosting. Joomla comes with a host of interesting features and is considered one of the best CMS platforms for experienced developers offering website design services. It is a great option for managing custom post types and membership sites, besides offering multilingual support.
- Offers great flexibility to design attractive websites and the ease of editing content.
- Offers wide community support for developers to refer to should they have any queries.
- Allows several extensions, which come in handy to build and run e-commerce stores.
- Joomla is arguably a complex platform to use and is not exactly the best choice for beginners. It is advisable to hire experts offering CMS web development services to build Joomla-based websites.
- Joomla may have compatibility issues if there are several modules and extensions installed.
It is a powerful and reliable PHP-based e-commerce platform with plenty of features to develop shopping cart solutions. It is quite flexible to operate and scalable to build websites based on a business’s growth requirements.
- Highly customizable with several third-party extensions, which can be used to add features.
- Allows the addition of many products and the ease of handling customers without letting the website slow down. However, this may require the up-gradation of the hosting plan.
- Offers several built-in features such as PayPal, bank transfer, and cash on delivery, and the ease of connecting different payment gateways.
- For developers who are new to ecommerce website development, Magento can appear to be a complex platform to use.
- If someone is using Magento open-source, then getting support from online forums may vary.
- It is an expensive platform to use.
It all boils down to analyzing your business requirements when it comes to choosing the right CMS platform. And should you feel confused about the same it is always better to hire the services of an experienced website design company and get the best results.
Summary: A CMS platform gives business enterprises the flexibility and cost-advantage to build and administer attractive, SEO-friendly, reliable, and secure websites.
Promo: Do you want to build an attractive and feature-rich CMS website but do not know the right CMS to use? Read our blog to analyze the various popular CMS platforms.