Pre-Migration Checklist for Microsoft Office 365
Based on the complexity and size of the migration, a wide array of actions needs to be performed. When one is planning to migrate the on-premise content to the cloud, jumping into a hasty migration procedure is not the solution. One must understand that microsoft office 365 migration services are not an easy process and several pre-migration checklists need to be considered. It is necessary to take one step at a time so that the planning of transition to Microsoft Office 365 is seamless.
Preparing end-users well in advance
The first step towards planning and preparing begins with proper communication among the members of an organization. Before initiating the migration project, the end-user must have complete information and data about the migration, the execution procedure, the effects, and the changes that will take place due to the migration.
When more members of the organization are involved in the planning process, more brainstorming ideas can be generated. This helps in drafting a proper migration project plan without any complexities. One can seek help from Microsoft’s pre-migration plan template and accordingly include and modify the checklists depending on the requirements and needs of the business.
On-premise inventory preparation
The next step for microsoft office 365 migration services is the preparation of the on-premise inventory exchange. The details one must have before the migration are as follows:
- User mailbox names, email addresses, and their sizes
- Storage locations, versions, and configurations
- Clients involving office applications, browsers, and operating systems
- Instant messaging, configured DNS data, online meetings, and unified application systems
- Network setups include firewall and proxy configurations, DNS hosts, internet connection, bandwidth, internal switches, intranet sites, and so on.
Examine present environment
Assessing and reviewing of present on-premise transition environment is required. Some of them involve the following.
- The need for backups
- Procedures to create and sync the accounts
- Licenses needed by user accounts
- End-users basic training requirements
- User account authentication factor
- Network potential and the migration feasibility
- Requirements for upgrading routers, firewall, and antivirus
Preparing data migration
Before the migration or transition process starts, it is necessary to check whether the data is read. Some of the aspects that need assessment are as follows:
- An up-to-date active directory
- Elimination or removal of non-in-use accounts
- The validity of email addresses within proxy addresses
- UPN synching of the source and target environments
- Filing for requirements, both online and offline
- Compliance prerequisites
Setting up Microsoft Office 365 account
Setting up Microsoft Office 365 account is the final step in migration planning. While setting up an account, the following consideration should be given importance.
- Getting the license and subscription of Microsoft Office 365
- Verifying domain names
- Configuring security permissions, applications for use, and directory syncing.
- Carrying out the test migration
When the pre-migration checklists for microsoft office 365 migration services are completed, the transition process must begin. One can utilize the professional exchange migration tool or any other technique to perform the pre-migration and migration tasks easily. Once the required data is transited to the Microsoft Office 365 cloud, post-migration checklists must be performed.